Whether you “slept wrong” and woke up with a stiff neck, strained something while lifting heavy things, or were in an accident, pains in your neck and back can put a serious damper on your day. Whether sudden and acute or chronic and ongoing, pain in your back or neck can reduce your quality of life and ability to perform daily tasks. If you experience either, you should see your health care provider for a diagnosis.
Symptoms & Diagnosis
Common Causes of Back Pain and Neck Pain
Johns Hopkins Medicine notes many potential causes, ranging from obvious ones like trauma, accidents, and repetitive movement, to the less blatant, such as deterioration of the vertebrae or complications from smoking cigarettes. While this sometimes means that the root cause of such pain can be hard to identify, a qualified care team can usually formulate an effective treatment plan.
If you suffer from back pain or neck pain, call the East Bay Chiropractic Wellness P.C. team today at (516) 679-2225 to schedule an appointment.
Back Pain and Neck Pain Symptoms:
- Muscle and ligament tears
- A repetitive, improper movement that causes strain
- Fractures, trauma, and injuries
- Bone degeneration
- Growths, like bone spurs or tumors
- Muscle spasms, tension, or lack of tone
- Joint problems, including arthritis
- Herniated discs
- Congenital bone and spine conditions
- Abdominal injuries, including aneurysms
Graston Technique® Therapy for Back and Neck Pain
Back and neck pain may not be solely orthopedic. Soft tissue injuries and scar tissue can also be involved and impede healing. Dr. Marmorale will evaluate your specific issues and concerns and will likely incorporate a variety of treatments to alleviate pain.
Dr. Marmorale specializes in Graston Technique® (GT) therapy to restore normal function in many cases of soft tissue damage, such as those that sometimes occur after trauma or in the aftermath of surgery. This technique has a proven high rate of effectiveness in treating chronic, acute, and post-surgical conditions by breaking up the scar tissue to facilitate routine healing and better freedom of movement.
Preventing Back Pain
In many cases, back and neck pains are caused by overworking muscles or repeatedly using them in detrimental ways. In order to reduce these stresses, you can take several steps, including but not limited to the following:
- Practice correct lifting techniques (back straight, lift with your legs).
- Don’t cradle your phone between your cheek and shoulder when talking on it.
- Get enough exercise, particularly exercises that strengthen back and core muscles
- Use ergonomic pillows, chairs, keyboards, and other devices.
- Make sure you are getting enough calcium preferably in an isotonic form (Nutrametrix Isotonix Calcium Complete) since calcium is usually very poorly absorbed in pill form.
When to See a Doctor
Warning signs that you should seek medical assistance are not always obvious. If you experience any of the following, you should make an appointment to have it assessed and diagnosed:
- Ongoing pain after an injury
- Unintended weight loss
- Numbness or tingling in the extremities
- Loss of bladder or bowel control, coupled with weakness in the legs [Seek immediate treatment if this is happening.]
Make an Appointment at East Bay to Relieve Back or Neck Pain
If you are subject to back or neck pain, contact Dr. Marmorale at East Bay Chiropractic Wellness P.C. for an appointment. We will work with you to diagnose your problem and develop a treatment plan. Call us at (516) 679-2225 to get started.
Useful Info and Health Tips
These self-care suggestions may help you gain at least temporary relief from your symptoms:
- Avoid activities that aggravate your back and neck pain.
- Move as much as possible. Be active in performing low-impact exercises like walking.
- Pay attention to your posture.
- Apply heat for 20-minute intervals and, if desired, alternate with ice or a cold pack.
- Take high ORAC antioxidant supplements preferably in the isotonic form such as Nutrametrix Isotonix Maximum Orac Formula.